Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thursday, February 24

Good morning from Huachuca, AZ and its Thursday morning. I don't think that we have written anything since we were in Las Cruces, NM and Mesilla. That was such a fun spot but Russ wrote about that. On Tuesday morning we left Las Cruces and arrived early afternoon at Fort Willcox RV park in Willcox, AZ. I'm not sure if we mentioned it or not, but when we met the folks from Pelham, NH way back in Carlsbad, NM, they told us about Passport America. We have Good Sam's club for a discount at most of the parks we have stayed at (10%), but Passport America offers a 50% discount. It doesn not apply to all parks, but we signed up for it online a couple of days ago and already have saved the cost of the application. So, we like that. More margarita money!!!
We spent one night in Willcox so didn't bother to unhook the truck from the camper. The park was a small park, but very friendly and clean. The laundry room was the nicest one we had used throught this trip. They even had waffles and coffee available in the morning.
I think I am getting my days, times, elevations and states confused, even though I am writing notes during the day. On our way to Willcox, outside of Deming, NM, crossed over the Continental Divide. I'm getting better with the heights as the elevation here was 4585 ft.

Okay, now onto our current place of lodging. Russ selected this park and he did a good job of it. Its right in the middle of nowhere-about 10 miles from Tombstone. We visited the town yesterday and it is alive strictly because of the tourists. Somehow we managed to get to a 'gunfight' in the morning and the shootout at the OK Corral in the afternoon. By the time we got to the second gunfight, it was getting colder, and I just wanted it to get over-I knew the results. The first gunfight was better as the 'actors' were having fun and adlibbing as they went along. We did make it into a saloon to have a margarita. Did they have margaritas when Wyatt Earp was sheriff? I don't remember seeing any when I watched the Wyatt Earp show with Hugh O'Brien. Boy am I dating myself.
HOLD ON----I have to move my chair out into the sun. Its getting a little breezy out here in the desert.
That is something about the desert, that we are finding out. The temperature really drops at night. It was 25 when I woke up this morning. Gets warm (but not as warm this year as normal). We keep hearing this from every place that we stay!
\We have done something which we haven't done all along this trip. We have made reservations for the next 10 days. Tomorrow, we are headed towards Phoenix and are staying in Picacho; then moving onto Phoenix for 4 nights and then up to Williams for 3 nights. Guess this isn't 10 days but close. We decided at the beginning of the week, that we would go to the Grand Canyon. We hadn't even mentioned going there, but I don't think that either one of us realized just how close it is. We will camp in Williams, AZ and take 'The Train' to the south rim; a bus ride tour of the area; and a buffet-then the ride back. I think I have written all this before, so I'm not going to continue. Just have to check this once I go online again.
Love to all-linda
Sorry friend-I typed this one sitting out in the sun, and hadn't realized that Russ had written about some of this time earlier.  Oh well, hope you don't mind hearing things twice.
Lina

1 comment:

  1. No worries for the repeat miss linda...the HOLD ON...I need to move my chair into the sun made it a very enjoyable read!! :) Suzy

    ReplyDelete