Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Early Evening on Feb 15th



Howdy folks-
We are sitting out on our patio plotting our trip for the next few days.  We are deciding whether to go to the Carlsbad Caverns, but I'm jus leery about any heights.  Right now we are planning on stopping there.  Russ is concerned with travelling along Interstate 10, but I don't want to take too many back roads going through the mountains of  New Mexico and Arizona.  I may have mentioned it before, but individuals have told us that back roads often times do not have guard rails, and have steep drops over the side of the mountains.  Not something I look forward to-
But we wanted to tell you what we did today.  I think Russ will add photos after I finish typing.  We decided to go to the LBJ Ranch which is a National Park in Stonewall, TX.  Its about 15 miles from where we are staying.  The national park naturally has a gift shop and we hd fun there.  The tour is a self guided driving tour with a CD to listen to.  Its a great tour.  We thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was interesting also, as Russ and I both remember LBJ being president.  Probably my memory is clearer as I was a bit older.  LBJ was the President when I graduated from high school. 
Anyways, there is a 'working' farm on the ranch that the midwife who attended to LBJ's birth grew up in.  It was fun to see the furniture in the structures as we have both had similar pieces in either our grandparents homes.  The house where LBJ was born is no longer there, but they have reconstructed a replica.  The house is called a dogtrot house.  There are rooms on either side of an area which could almost be considered a porch.  We then went further onto to the show barn, airplane hanger and the 'Texas White House'.  LBJ raised herefords and there are still lots  on the ranch.  In fact, as we travelled the road through the ranch, we had to wait for them to cross the roads.  Interesting.  There were several  in the barn, all with 'branded' numbers in their horns and LBJ on the other.  I didn't realize this, but LBJ was the first president to conduct business away from the Washington White House.  The convenients of modern technologies.  Three major television stations and electric typewriters.  His office in the home had the same metal daily calendar that I had on my desk at work for 30 plus years.
The home has five rooms that we were able to go through.  These rooms have been redecorated as they were when he was president.  We really were glad that we went on this tour.
Coming back into town, we were amazed at number of wineries.  We passed six in the 15 miles.  Also, lots and lots of peach farms and orchards.  Much larger than the one tree we have in our back yard. 
Got back into town and tried out a Mexican restaurant-Mamacitas.  Very good food, I'm really beginning to like the charro beans.  I've been told that everyone needs to eat beans every day!  Isn't that right Tom King! 
Oh, lots of the structures around here are made of  limestone.  We've seen the limestone for sale  on the side of the road, but haven't seen any limestone quarries.  Something I'm going to have to check into.
Another thing we saw was a huge junk yard.  Neither of us had seen one of those in years.  Things that impress us northerners.
Another oh-Russ made a purchase today-he's a COWBOY now!  He has the Stetson to prove it.  I think my husband looks pretty darnn good in it.  So I guess we'll have to have a cowboy party when we get home.  Enough for tonight.  Love to all-hope you are enjoying hearing about our travels.  We are enjoying the travelling!
wait til you see me all "cowboyed up" I'm 6 foot tall now.  let Linda know that I also need boots.  RB

No comments:

Post a Comment