Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday in Memphis

Hi-its Linda.  Russ wrote yesterday, but he's on vacation today.  Actually, he's planning our route for tomorrow as we are leaving Memphis and headed across the Mississippi-remember when we all felt so smart when we could spell that.  As Russ said, we were planning on going to Beale Street last night and fortunately they run a bus from the campground and the Heartbreak Hotel so we took advantage of it.  It was cold, and apparently not a busy, hopping time of the year.  We figured we stop at one establishment, have a drink and meander further down the block.  There's music every place so we stayed in the first place (and I don't know the name of it) for a while and then kept walking.  Every place has a person out front trying to drum up business.  Did I say it was cold?  Well one, place a guy was putting a scarf around his neck and since he was bald, I told him he needed something on his head-did I really say that?  I sounded just like my Mother-I love you Mom! 
We ended up at BB Kings bar/restaurant where the music was hopping.  They had a 17 year old guitarist  playing who was great.  He apparently picked  up the guitar at age 12 and started playing at BB Kings a year later.  If only Russ could play the banjo like that!  Dinner was good-Russ had some barbecue and we had drinks that we could keep the glasses.  He likes his chick drinks!

That was last night-the picture that I hope you see is from today when we went on a tour of the city.  Intimate tour-only one other couple.  We went back to Beale street and one of those guys from the restaurants took our picture-Memphis to the right of us and BB Kings to the left.  We went to the Peabody Hotel and watched the ducks come out of the elevator and run the red carpet to the fountain in the middle of the lobby.  Yes, that's what I said and that's what they did.  It was cute, as apparently they have 'special' people follow them each day and today it was a 7 year old and her sister.  It was cute.  Then we went briefly to the Sun Studio where EP (Elvis Presley) recorded his first record.   We also went through the are of St. Jude's Hospital & the pavillion for Danny Thomas & his wife.  I know my folks always contributed to St. Jude's and I did for a while, but after seeing it, I think I will have to start again-  Oh, yes, we saw the hotel that Martin Luther King was killed at.  We first went by the spot where the shots were fired (who was that guy) and when I saw the motel, I knew where we were.  It has been made into the National Civil Rights Museum. 
Oh, on that tour, the other couple was from CT and she is a quilter!  They are headed to FL-they are meandering also. 
This afternoon, we toured Graceland.  I am so glad we did.  We were only on the first floor, but everything is as it was in the 70S-rather tacky but current then.  All the gold records and clips from him in the early days on different shows.  There were no pictures of him in his later years, once he had gotten so huge-I remember when he died and I thought he was realitively old.  He was only 42.  He was scheduled to perform in Portland shortly after he died and I only know that because a woman I worked with had tickets for that performance.  She probably still has those tickets. 
Tomorrow we are headed for Arkansas-its only across the river, and Russ is busy looking for camping areas.  We may make it to Texas the next day.  We are having fun-laughing alot and enjoying the views.  No snow right now and that's great.  Hope all is well with everyone else!  love-linda

No comments:

Post a Comment