Tuesday, January 25, 2011

FINALLY in Texas

Hi-Its Linda
We left Arkadelphia RV Park this morning around 10:25.  We just don't move very quickly in the morning.  I was just so nice to take a warm shower in a warm bathhouse, and be able to wander around and get everything ready, without heavy coats on.  I even managed to get rid of my winter socks and Merrells and put on sneaker socks and sneakers.  Really felt good.  Temperature is in the high 40s but compared to NH, we are doing good.  Our stop today was scheduled to Mineola, TX, where we were going to meet up with a childhood friend of Russ's who he hasn't seen in quite a few years.  We are now in their driveway, but unfortunately, not everyone is retired, and they are on there way home from work.  They'll be here soon.
We finished our trip through Arkansas, and the scenery was so much different than from yesterday.  Yesterday, there were lots of fields, but everything seemed to be soaking wet-didn't look like there could be any farming done there.  There must be dry time, as we saw big field irrigators, looking very strange standing in mud.  Today, everything was dry and green.
We got to Texarkana and when reading the AAA book, were told that Texarkana is divided in two by Texas and Arkansas.  The Post Office & City Hall are for both cities in the two states with two separate zip codes.  I know there is a reason, but I'll have to check further on that later.  We did pass by HOPE, AR which is the birthplace of  President Bill Clinton.  Just took a picture of the road sign on Route 30.  Travelling in cities is difficult towing a 31 foot 5th wheel.  We've seen signs for birthplaces of other presidents, but this was the first one for a living president. 
At 11:50 we rolled into Texas and had our first sighting of PALM TREES.  I was so excited.  We also passed by Elk Meadow Game Ranch and oil rigs in people's backyards.  I had seen them in OK when I went there with Laurie & Erin, but hadn't seen them in TX.
We left Route 30 and passed through Quitman, TX.  I liked the name.  We also passed by Sissy Spacek Drive in Quitman.  Another think I have to check on. 
Not sure how long we will be staying here, but it is completely different that the TX I saw while visiting the Lents in Corinth.  There is so much country-real country around here.  Russ and I walked after we got here for about an hour and had one car pass us.  We have seen a school bus and UPS truck go  by but that's all.  Russ thinks that an acre of land would be pretty cheap around here, but then who would come to our Christmas party?  Then I would really miss NH and all our good friends.
We are still having fun, but Russ did ask what we are going to do for the next two months.  I told him that I would be happy with a warm spot so I could get my sandals on. 
More to come.......

No comments:

Post a Comment