Friday, January 28, 2011

January 27, 2011-still in Mineola, TX

Hi-Its Linda-
We are still in Mineola, and will be here for another night-then on towards Austin.  The weather is getting warmer by the day, and today, I was able to put my sandals.  It feels so good-I know I am rubbing it in.  We sat here last night watching the weather reports for up north.  Sorry guy, it feels good here! 

We have been enjoying the company and hospitality of Joey & Brenda Paradis and having a great time.  Joey, as I mentioned before, was a childhood friend of Russ's and they have been doing quite a bit of reminiscing.  Brenda originally is from Nashua, NH, but lived in the Kittery area for years, so they know alot of people that Russ also knows.  Some of these people I just know the names, but its been fun listening to old stories.  Joey & Brenda are both musicians, so last night they played and sang for us.  You can imagine how much Russ enjoyed that and I did also.  They are now working for a company where they travel quite a bit.  They have suggested lots of places in Texas and the area to visit.  I'm writing everything down, and keep tellng Russ that we don't have to see everything this trip-we'll be doing this another year for sure.
Yesterday we went into the town of Mineola, and visited the AMTRAK train station which has a museum.  Interesting-there was a hand written ledger of some type that the person who was working and writing in it on December 7, 1943 (I think that was the year) annoted that the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor. 
Mineola also has a city historical museum.  It was not open yesterday, but there was a woman there, who had no problem opening the door so that we could spend more than 2 hours there.  Although we don't know the town, it was interesting to see everything that had been collected.  So many of the items are things that both Russ & I have seen at our grandparents homes, and the old pictures were so much like pictures we all have.  Mineola has a movie theater which has played movies continuously for 90 years-the longest in TX.  Seems like it might be longest it more than just TX.
Well, tomorrow we head to Austin and San Antonio.  We plan on camping someplace between the two cities and spend a week.  That sounds great-I can get some SUN!  Also, Russ's nephew Ben & his family live outside of San Antonio and his sister Allane & Steve will be visiting.  It will be nice to get together with them.  Have I mentioned that we are having a really good time!
We'll talk to you later-HAPPY SHOVELLING!
The man agree's, Russ
Thanks Joey!!! Brenda is a keeper!! It was soooo Great to see you both!!!

1 comment:

  1. Russ, you're a helluva cook! Linda, you're too kind, with your housekeeping and your never-ending willingness to do everything. Since Russ commandeered the kitchen I can only attest to the fact that you steam a mean green bean! I'm betting that your kitchen skills run rather deeper. Brendy & I would like to remind you that the house up the street may still be for sale! BUY IT and we can continue the fun. I might be able to learn to play the banjo then. We love you guys...J&B

    ReplyDelete