Thursday, February 13, 2014

gourd festival

Linda and I went to the Casa Grande gourd festival. what an event! gourds of every size, shape, style. The festival is at the Pinel County fair grounds and is attended by gourd lovers from across the USA. I never knew what could be made from just some old squash. It is amazing


These are just a quick sample  of some of the caricatures one person made.


The next three pics are a desert arrangement that is made of all gourds. The work is unbelievable! All the birds, animals, turtles,snake,rocks and cacti are all made from gourds.


One sample of the delicate work some folks do and sell
I had thought this was a burll from a tree, but it is a stained and treated gourd
just a couple of small gourd fields, and there were miles of fields that have already been picks and the ground turned over for the next crop

We didn't even get into the barn with the competition gourds.   they also had gourds with a screen door spring stuck into the bottom so when you shake it it sounds like thunder. Walking sticks made from long necked ones and so much more.
 While outside watching a family playing country music, we heard something sounding like a big bee and finily realized it was a drone. I started taking pictures and it came right down to me. I believe it had a camera and was filming me , filming it.  it took a long time to find the operator, and he was standing along ways away operating it remotely. Really neat and very expensive toy.



  two other great things from this wonderful day, were I got to try a Philly cheese steak with the green chiles I love and listen to a great country/bluegrass family play and yodel.  hope this video works for you.


lots more to come, we have been so busy having fun and enjoying the sights and RV park we are in , I am tired by the time I get to sit and write on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment