Monday, March 5, 2012

March 5, on the way home

Hi-
Its Linda and we are now in Milton, WV.  We left Nashville this morning, heading to Hershey, PA, but had to spend one night on the road.  It was a longer day than we usually spend travelling.  Thought we had found a place to stay in this area, while looking yesterday, but they didn't answer the phone today, so spent quite a bit of time doing that today.  I am just so amazed with technology.  I have had my phone for almost two years, and never realized, or if I did, used it as a 'smart phone' which I guess it is.  I was able to google the weather, maps, campgrounds, all sorts of things.  I was exhausted!!  Russ only had to drive-I had to do all the work!!  We were able to find a KOA park to spend the night in and tomorrow we head to Hershey, PA; our last destination prior to getting home.  Fortunately that's only about 300 miles, and we get to see Tim, Jaime, Gavin and Peyton, our PA family.  Always love to spend time in Hershey.  But I want to mention what we did in Nashville, if only so I will remember.....
We made it into Nashville on Saturday, after weathering the chance of tornadoes in Alabama.  We were fortunate and are so grateful for that.  There are alot of people who weren't so lucky; many of the areas had been hit just last year and are still recovering. 
So onto Nashville.  We decided to stay at a park which is close to the Grand Old Opry-just about a mile from there.  But that's not where we saw it.  The show on Saturday night was at the Ryman, in downtown Nashville.  We went into town around 3-4 and just started wandering around.  There's about two blocks where all the 'action' seems to be.  All sorts of bars/saloons/restaurants with live music playing.  We wandered for a while and went into one place.  Music was soooooo loud, but good. (note from mr traveler, some old gray haired guy in one place leaned over to me and said that I was too old for bar hopping and that he had them turn up the volume so I could hear it)  Glad I didn't spend my younger years in a town like that.  And it seems that the groups play for several hours and play for tips, and the tip jar is passed around by a loyal friend of the band.  Had a drink and an appetizer-can you believe they didn't have WINE!!!! and left.  Wandered some more, went into a few more 'establishments'; Russ was still hungry, so stopped for a hamburg, but were able to listen to some decent music.  Its great that you can just go in for a while, put some money in the tip jar, and not even bother to eat or have a drink. 
It was finally time to go to the Ryman.  Some of the folks appearing were ones we saw last year:  Little Jimmy Dickens (91); Jeannie Sieley (or something like that); and the Rocky Top players/singers-I don't need to see them again.  Just in case you were not aware of this, the Opry is a live radio show and has intermissions and host for each half hour segment.  One host was Mel Tillis (anyone remember him); he's the one who stutters and he still does.  He's tall-didn't know that he was so tall, but remember that I really liked him on whatever it was that I saw him on.  The last group was EXILE, which sounded familiar to me, but certainly didn't sound Country.  The last song they sang and the last song of the night was: I'm going to kiss you all over!  I looked at Russ and said, 'this isn't country!' but boy did it rock the house.  It was great fun, again for us.  I'm not sure if I would want this to be my 'destination' vacation, but I'm glad that we are able to stop since we are 'in the neighborhood'. 
On Sunday we travelled to Carthage, TN.  We spent the afternoon with Killian Adams, his mother Kelly, and grandmother, Miss Dorothy.  Killian is the nephew of our good friend Glenn Adams, and was Glenn's best man at his wedding to Jaimie this past summer.  They  spent a day with us up at camp the week before they were married.  We had a great day then, and told Killian that we wanted to stop to see him while travelling this winter.  Carthage is less than an hour from where we were staying in Nashville, so we took advantage of that.  It was a really good afternoon.  Killian is an enjoyable teenager, and he and his grandmother took us on a tour of the area.  It was really fun-and then we had dinner back at their home with them.  Russ spent some 'guy' time out with Killian and four wheeler and mini bike, while I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with his Mom and Grandmom.  Killian, we are looking forward to seeing you this summer and having more fun with you up at camp!!!  More tubing...maybe some water skiing and just enjoying your company.  RUSS writting now, Maybe Glenn will even let us hang out during the days he has to work. I hope so, as I need your design and build help on a flexable bike. I just read that Mrs. Navigator has noted her hard work. I did offer to let her drive while I played on the phone, GPS, and maps, but she said no thank you in a very pleasent tone.  When it started spitting snow, I got a little concerned as we were still in the " HILLY" part of the trip. Roads stayed dry and it wasn't a bad drive. Looking forward to getting home, but sad to have the heat on and see that the outside temp is dropping and now at 35 and expected to get down to 22 before morning.   I am now going to try and insert a few pictures. wish me well.  The Driver.



McComb, MS  at our first stay at a state park (sunset)
 Clouds before Tornado alerts (Cottondale, AL)

From the back this guy looked just like our friend Charlie Angers
 Mrs Traveller at a  scenic overlook in Difficult,TN near Carthage
 Mom Kelly with Killian
 Mr and Mrs Galavanter with Killian (don't you just love Russ's spelling)
 Grandmom Dorothy and K.

No comments:

Post a Comment