Monday, February 23, 2015

Sunday, February 22

Happy Sunday....
Its a windy, sunny Sunday, the day after the park's Mardi Gras Festivities, and its Linda writing.  Russ will have to download the pictures that have been taken in the last few days, or the FryDay on Thursday and the Mardi Gras festivities last night.  I think that the last time Russ wrote it was about his experiences with the hot air balloon.  None of that going on today as it is rather windy today.  We had to bring our awning in last night and I was planning on writing this while sitting in the sun, but decided it would be easier sitting inside with the door open.  Another sunny day, just windy.
Russ is off running into Casa Grande, and continuing the building of Steve's shed.  Think they are down to the last of the shelving.  I'm sure Russ will find another project.
Well, Thursday, we had our Fryday.  It was just a bit confusing for some, but went off extremely well.  The RV site that we are in just happens to have a 'back yard'.  Just about twenty feet in back of the 'rig' which was plenty of room for tables, chairs, the fryer and the 45 people who were here.  I'm so glad that I thought to bring out my 'travelling' book where I keep track of gasoline and campground expenditures and such.  We had everyone here sign their names and where they are from.  For our Christmas parties I go around and write everyone's names in a book at home.  Here I couldn't do it.  Knew everyone's first names, but not last and definitely not where they were from.
Anyway, as I said, there were 45 people here.  Russ fried a 15 pound turkey to begin with and that was done about the time most people started to arrive.  Fifteen pound turkey does not go far with that many people.  The he was on to home made tortellinis; red and green battered peppers; chicken tenders; zuchinni 'spaghetti' for lack of a better word to call it; sweet potatoes, bratwurst (jalapeno filled, which were great); potato chips; fried pickles of different kinds (they were goood); Twinkies; and Rice Krispy treats.  Oh, and there were donut holes and fried dough.  I'm sure I am forgetting a number of things, as I was trying to batter whatever with tempura or dry batter and get them to Russ while running back and forth into the rv for one thing or another.  Door was open all the time, so the fly swatter was used alot that evening.  In fact,at one point, when I came in and opened the fridge, a fly flew out.  After several hours of frying so many different things, the fish and shrimp could be fried.  Can't have a twinkie taste like shrimp or fish.  
Another experience for Russ on Thursday was a tour of the Aquaduct system, but he will have to elaborate on that.  Since our friends from BC, Yvonne and Steve were here, Steve went on the tour, and I was able to get last minutes things done for the Fry.
That was Thursday.
Saturday, was Mardi Gras and Russ was the Sheriff!  What a great sheriff he was.  Everyone purchased tickets to play the games.  This reminded me of the Lawn Fetes that we had at Sherburne School, in Portsmouth, so very many years ago.  Well for games there 'corn hole(bean bag toss)'; and a fish tank; and a shell game; and musical chairs without the music and no chairs moving so people wouldn't be falling on the floor; and horse racing which was a big hit; and darts, and I think that was it.  Winners recieved beads and there were door prizes.  Russ was arresting people and throwing them into jail.  He is going to have to elaborate on why they were arrested, but a retired judge is lives here in the park and he presided over court, putting his robe on each time over his shorts and sandals.  Russ arrested one individual just because he didn't 'like his face'.
This week Gregg & Sue are coming out to spend some time with us.  They are also planning to go up to the Grand Canyon, thru Sedona and also a night in Cottonwood.  I think they will enjoy area, being able to do some walking/hiking and just being warm!  I know that we do.
Russ keeps saying we are on 'vacation'.  We aren't on vacation-this is our way of life during the winter.  Vacation is what we do during the summer!!
Glad we have the opportunity to spend time here.  Thanks to those who are keeping watch over our home.  Stay safe all and hope the snow stops at some point!
 hi peeps,
 I always wanted to say that.  doesn't sound so cool as when the tv people do.  well it has been busy as ever.  the FRYday was a huge hit. Linda worked her tail off and I just fryed whatever came before me. hotdogs, mini hamburgs, corndogs, mashed potato balls,  I didn't even know what some of the stuff was, but it got cooked.








frying  while wearing full length pants is a must, but with the daytime temps about 83 degrees, it was hot!!

 the Mardi Gras was a blast. I was sheriff


I got to arrest people for any reason. I also took bribes to put some in jail.  I got one for being a lady of the evening, one for trying to pick her up, one for illegal gambling(had to wait for the horse race to finish before jail time so we didn't cut into the profits), one for calling the sheriff crazy and as linda said one just because I didn't like his look.   lots of fun!!!












  this is getting long so I will do another post about the aquaduct tour at a later time

No comments:

Post a Comment