Sunday, February 15, 2015

Feb 15,2015

Hello again from the lost world of retirement.  we have been busy being retired and having fun.  Our friends Steve and Yvonne got here Wednesday afternoon just in time for our potluck dinner.  I had made a calzone type recipe that Yvonne had given me, but it all went before we got to try it. we did have lots of good eats and a fun time there.  Steve had to fly home for a few days so Linda and Yvonne have been playing. Yesterday Dave and Virl took us to breakfast in Coolidge, about 15 miles for here to a great restaurant. I had chorizo and eggs ( a Mexican scrambled sausage and eggs) that was very good. they have there own homemede hot sauce and when Dave went to shake it up the cover wasn't on tight and it went all over the place. kind of funny in a way. I was sitting across form him and never said a word when I saw it on the ballcap that the guy behind him was wearing. when we got to the car, I told dave, Virl and Linda and we all had a great laugh. When he finly sees it I am sure he will wonder what kind of bird flew over. Last night there was a Valentines dance here in the park. A great time, lots of dancing, and fun.  I was still upset that the flowers I had ordered for Linda never showed up, but I got her a rose at the dance, and she understands that I tried.  Last nite evening I was asked by some park friends if i wanted to help "crew" for a hot air balloon in the morning and of course I said yes. I got up at 5am and met then by the clubhouse and we drove about 30 minutes to Maranna and met the owner , his wife and his regular crew chief. there at Dennys he let a regular balloon go to check the winds and decide where he wanted to launch from. we drove into the area and setup to go. I just held this and did that as I was told. they unload the basket, balloon, fan and heater and set it all up. they unroll the fabric and then blow air into it as crew hold it open and onto it. then when it gets really blown up I had to shut of the fan and roll it out of the way. then the pilot lights off the 15 million BTU heater and heats the air inside. they load all the occupents into the basket whele we hold it to the ground. when the pilot says go , he cranks the burner way up and away they go and it happens very fast..when the paying customers and pilot were in they decided that Doug( a friend from the park who has helped them alot) could go too. I should have handed him my camera but was so busy paying attention to what was going on, I didn't even think about it. after they were airbourne we loaded up the truck and drove to an area that the balloon would go by. we sat in a parking lot for a little while, just watching and listening as the pilot and crew chief checked the wind and weather by cell phone to the local airport, and by radio to each other. then we took off to the approximate landing area. when we go close the pilot kept telling us kind of where to go. they finly decided where he hoped to land and we drove down a close street thru and unfinished development and to a flat claer place in the desert.  the winds were very light and as the b alloon started down the winds really picked up. when he was a few feet from the ground, it was appearent that he was going quite fast so we all satrted running across the desert to try and catch them. it didn't work so he hit the heater and took off again. we got back into the truck and drove down doads, into farmers lanes and found we couldn't get there from there so back and around a few more road , until the pilot told us where to turn. he had found and un planted field that was pretty flat, and close to a road.  we got there and jumped out and ran to where it looked like he would land, he came right to us and when the basket settled to the ground, the thre of us ground crew grabbed hold and used our weight to hold them down.  They did appreciate my girth at that point.  they have a huge flap in the very top that the pull a rope and let the hot air out. when they know that it won't move far, most of the passengers get out. the pilot and one willing guest lean on one side of the basket and when the air is released and the "envelope" starts to drop the basket tips on it's side when them laying in the bottom(I think it's for picture taking more than necessity, but it's cool.  I got to hold the rings ,cables, and ties at the top of the airbag as it deflated. it's alot of very hot air coming out the vent, but it was fun.  then we rooled up the chute, carried the basket and stuff to the truck and loaded up.  they took us all back to a local park and presented the paying guests with champane, fruit, and a very nice breakfast. (we got the leftovers that were wonderful. We had to sign the certificates that were presented to the guests. I know know that I will be framed and hanging on someones wall.   all in all it was a great experance and they asked for my number so they can call me if the need help again. the regular crew get a small payment, and he said that next time i might get something or forgo and after 10 times helping I can get a free flight(as space permits.)   i think a 1-11/2 hour flight costs around $225.   i LOVED IT.

I have been helping a park friend add onto his shed, and have hauled materials, framed, roofed and sided it. he isn't in the greatest of health so I have jumped right in as always and had a ball doing it. Now I feel guilty as the gave me a gift card for helping. I do it for fun and told them so. well, I guess I need to really step up and do more of the finish work the remains.
 Well, I have ranted on to long, but wanted to share with you what was up with me.  Linda is at the pool.  she is loving it here as well.   Smiles and Hugs,  the hot air man








No comments:

Post a Comment