Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Its March 19, and this is Linda writing.  Russ has done such a great job, doing the posts most evenings, so its time for me to participate.
Checked on the blog to find that the last post was on March 12.  Let me see if I can do a little update. 
We did do the tour of the MIDWAY but we did not go out to Point Loma.  The tour of the MIDWAY was amazing.  Walking through the aircraft carrier (I asked Russ if it was a ship or a boat, and that's what he called it), it was huge, so much larger than anything we had on the Shipyard.  I remember, as a kid, going on different boats/ships, on some holiday, and they seemed big, but nothing compared to this.  It was a beautiful day, and we were directed by one of the tour guides (all, naturally, retired NAVY, and many pilots who landed on the MIDWAY), to go to the Captains Bridge. We could see everything along the San Diego harbor and across to the Shipyard on Coronado Island.  On Coronado Island, there are two current carriers, the VINCENT and the REAGAN.  (Now I'm wondering if I have the correct names on those).  Anyways, it was a wonderful tour, well worth the time and the money. 
So since then, we were able to again meet up with our friends from BC, Yvonne & Steve.  Russ and I were deciding where to go on the start of our way back east.  Yvonne suggested Indio, CA.  They have been on an extended trip around Canada and the US and will be 'crossing over' around the first of April, so, since we met up with the in Tucson and Picacho, AZ, I thought they had travelled further north in CA.  Well, they hadn't, but were only about 150 miles from us, so that's where we went.  Yvonne and Steve have been travelling for a few years, and do some serious travelling, and are good travellers.  They decided that we needed to go to Idylwild, CA.  What a great spot, other than the road it takes to get there.  It was route 74 or 79, and curved back and forth (they are called 'switchbacks')
without guardrails.  Shortly into the trip, I had my head on my lap, and stayed that way until we got the Idylwild.  It is a beautiful little town, about 6000 feet up, but fortunately still in the 'valley' surrounded by other taller mountains.  The weather was beautiful and it was a great day wandering around with our 'buds' from BC.
Sunday, we left for Camp Verde, which is back in AZ, and north of Phoenix.  We wanted to spend time in Sedona, Jerome, and Prescott.  Monday, we drove up to Jerome and then onto Prescott.  Jerome is an old copper mining town.  Years ago, there were 15000 people living there, and now it has basically become a tourist town.  Lots of artsy shops, with views for miles, all at about 6000 feet.  Of course, more windy roads, where I spent most of my time with my head on the center console.  I do not enjoy winding, twisting roads that are barely on the hill they climb.  After the mining stopped, the town kind of died, and the remaining folks tried to give it a 'ghost' town name.  We had lunch at the 'Haunted Hamburger'.  I think it was just Russ & I at the table but folks have supposedly seen 'ghosts'.  I don't know why they would drive up those winding roads.
We travelled down the other side of the mountain to Prescott (Preskitt to the locals).  Nice little town, for just wandering around. 
Tuesday, we went to Sedona, which is another beautiful area, very 'artsy' and upper scale.  We stopped at a few of the shops, but found a quilt shop!!!!   Yeha!!!  Great shop, nice ladies, great material, and I not have a quilt kit for a wall hanging.  Naturally, a AZ design of  Kopellis and such.  I'm looking forward to working on it.
So that's it for now, but we did go on a great train ride of the Verde Canyon Railway.  Fun, great ride.  but more about that later.  Now we are in Alburquerque, and I may learn to spell that while we are hear.
We are still have a wonderful time, but now that we are heading EAST.  See you all soon
love-linda

No comments:

Post a Comment